As you may or may not have noticed, I kinda skipped out on doing the Friday5 last week... There were circumstances, I swear! Life gets in the way sometimes. But there's lots to cover this week so let's get to it!
1. Obviously, the major news story on everyone's mind this week is the horrific tragedy that happened at the Boston Marathon. I can't add anything that hasn't already been said (and said well), but I will say that it takes time to process this type of thing, to wrap our brains around the idea that this kind of evil is living among us, but comfort, love and strength are all things that exist in this world and they'll find you, and lift you up again if you let them. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this dark and inhumane act. I hope you find what you need to get through this so you can heal.
2. Real world news aside, let's discuss something a little lighter. The heart-poundingly-awesome-no-seriously-I-might-have-peed-my-pants-a-little first trailer for Catching Fire has arrived!
I seriously can't watch this without getting chills. It looks SO GOOD, you guys! There isn't a single scene in this that doesn't have me squeeeing with fangirlish delight (yeah, even the Katniss/Gale kiss, which whatevs cause Team Peeta all the way, but yeah, even that made me squee so...) The whipping scene and the added material with Snow and Plutarch.. it's just too much. I may watch this about a zillion times between now and November. Yeah, a zillion.
3. The ALA has released the list of most challenged books in 2012. Not surprised to see Fifty Shades of Grey on there, but as I've said before, I never fail to be shocked by some of the books that make it onto this type of list. Captain Underpants is #1? Really? Doesn't this list just make you want to go out and buy every book on it (that you don't already own, and except for Fifty Shades of Grey)? Yeah, me too.
4. HUGE NEWS this week for fans of Veronica Roth's Divergent series. The title for the highly-anticipated third book in the series has finally, after much-teasing and spoofing, been revealed! Allegiant is due to hit shelves in late October and I have to say, I'm happily surprised that the title ended up being something other than the most popular guesses. Now can we pretty please have a cover reveal? :)
5. So I haven't done a YA Book Rec for April yet, which is why I'm going to cheat a little and instead of recommending something that was released this week, I'm going to go back in time (cause I'm capable like that) and rec a book that not only sounds amazing, but also happens to be penned by one of my uber-cool agentmates, Bethany Wiggins! Let's take a look at the gripping awesomeness that is Stung:
|As if you needed another reason to run away screaming at the sight of a bee...|
Fiona doesn’t remember going to sleep. But when she opens her eyes, she discovers her entire world has been altered—her house is abandoned and broken, and the entire neighborhood is barren and dead. Even stranger is the tattoo on her right hand—a black oval with five marks on either side—that she doesn’t remember getting but somehow knows she must cover at any cost. She’s right.
Those bearing the tattoo have turned into mindless, violent beasts that roam the streets and sewers, preying upon the unbranded while a select few live protected inside a fortress-like wall, their lives devoted to rebuilding society and killing all who bear the mark.
Now Fiona has awakened branded, alone—and on the wrong side of the wall. (Summary from Goodreads.com)Right? Right?? How creeptastic does that sound? And that cover is seriously appealing to my love of iconic covers that manage to be clean and simple yet thoroughly chilling. If the synopsis doesn't already have you hooked, you can also check out an excerpt here. So good!
Well, that's it for this week, kids... I'd love to get more discussion on this blog so how about a question--what are you reading right now? (Not literally right now cause I know the answer is "Your totes awesome blog!", but you know, what are you in the process of reading when you have time to curl up with a book?)