Well, I'm not exactly sure how we've reached the end of January already, but here we are. Time flying so quickly is always a bit concerning, but it's winter, and we're steadily moving toward warmer, sunnier days. I see no bad there. But if that shiny glimmer of hope isn't enough to get you through to the weekend, here are a few items that just might!
1. What is happening here? This is absolutely delightful, and yet another reason Kristen Bell is my spirit animal. You don't need to know anything going into this beyond the fact that KB and her hubs, Dax Shepard, filmed this before the birth of their kids, while they were on safari in Africa. If these two ever break up, I'm going to need therapy. Enjoy!
2. Did you miss Mockingjay Pt. 2 in theatres like I did? No? You saw it because you didn't have trouble working out a babysitting scenario that would work for your still nursing baby? Well, I wasn't so lucky. After seeing the previous three films (the first and third with newborn babies in tow) shortly after their initial release, I just didn't make it out to see MJ Pt. 2. Not a great situation for a big HG fan to be in. But alas, that's life, and now the film is almost out on DVD/Blu-ray and I'll get to finally see it! I might even have to pre-order the 4-film collection, details for which have just been released. Will you be marathoning all four films when Mockingjay Pt.2 becomes available?
3. Were you angry when Pottermore decided to do away with sorting and all the interactive stuff that was actually worth your time? Well, some of those features are back, and whether you liked the house you were originally sorted into or not, now's a great time to find out where you might fit in at Hogwarts, according to the master of sorting, J.K. Rowling herself!
4. Would you like a splash of Saturday morning nostalgia with your comic books? Cause DC is rolling out some new versions of old Hanna-Barbera favourites. The art is definitely intriguing, but I'm not sure I'll be checking out any of these books beyond a passing glimpse. There's something about Scooby with a cyborg eye that just seems irresponsible ;) Anybody on board with this reimagining?
5. Noteworthy YA of the week: SHALLOW GRAVES by Kali Wallace
For fans of Holly Black and Nova Ren Suma, a gripping, hauntingly atmospheric novel about murder, revenge, and a world where monsters human and otherwise lurk at the fringes.
When seventeen-year-old Breezy Lin wakes up in a shallow grave one year after her death, she doesn t remember who killed her or why. All she knows is that she's somehow conscious and not only that, she's able to sense who around her is hiding a murderous past. In life, Breezy was always drawn to the elegance of the universe and the mystery of the stars. Now she must set out to find answers and discover what is to become of her in the gritty, dangerous world to which she now belongs where killers hide in plain sight, and a sinister cult is hunting for strange creatures like her. What she finds is at once empowering, redemptive, and dangerous.
Tense, complex, and wholly engaging, Shallow Graves is a stunning first novel from Kali Wallace.
-Courtesy of Indiebound