1. LIFE & STUFF
I don't know what it is about this spring (wait, yes I do; fluctuating temperatures!), but we are on a cycle of nonstop illnesses. First it's heads colds, then stomach bugs, then terrible, no good, very bad coughs with fever and runny noses and ugh. It's too much. And it's been getting in the way of my writing time. If I'm not sick, one of the kids is. But this week ended up being not nearly as bad as it could've been, because only one child was sick, and it didn't seem to last. So while I did lose a whole day of writing during my first week in a while that I didn't also have freelance work, I also had some very productive days too. I'm at that point in my WIP where I'm really hitting my stride. The characters are coming to life, the plot is basically writing itself, and I managed to get 5k words on the page today without batting an eye. I love days like this. I wish I had more days like this, but ideally without the guilt that I assume all mothers experience when they have a good, productive day that has nothing to do with their children. Though, that's not really true either. 95% of the reason I write is because I love it. Because I couldn't not write. Because it's in my bones, and the story ideas keep coming. But the other 5% is because I want the arguably flexible career of a writer, so I can be available to my kids as they grow up. Okay, that summary of my week sort of went off the rails a bit at the end there, but it's all still worth noting.
I suppose I should add here that there won't be a Friday5 next week because we're taking a little family vacation to the east coast. That's the other thing that's been consuming my time this week. Packing for three, and doing everything I can to make sure our first flight with the kids goes as smoothly as possible. Please pray for my sanity.
2. BOOKS & PUBLISHING NEWS
You may have already seen this, but the cover is so fab it's worth repeating. Veronica Roth's next book, Carve the Mark, her follow-up to the Divergent series, has been announced, and while the plot summary is a little "been there, done that" for my taste, the cover is, as I said, quite lovely. Sure, the Divergent film franchise has failed to deliver in a lot of ways, but I can't pretend I didn't enjoy Divergent when I read it the first time around. Roth may not be the most experienced writer, but she has a wonderful imagination, and her characterization is strong. I don't doubt I'll be picking this one up when it comes out next year.
3. POP CULTURE NEWS
My week in pop culture has primarily been dominated by good TV (okay, most weeks are...) and the fact that I finally got around to watching The Force Awakens, just in time for May the 4th. Yes, I know. I know. And no, I didn't manage to remain unspoiled. That was a losing battle right from the start. But anyway, back to delicious, delightful finale season (plus, the return of spring/summer favs)--is anybody else totally digging the final season arc on Agents of Shield? (Is anyone else watching Agents of Shield?) Right now it's neck and neck with the brilliant final episodes of iZombie for my fav 2016 season ender (PLL aside, cause, come on!). Of course, the finale is yet to air, and depending on what happens, it may or may not end up anywhere near the top spot, but right now, I'm digging it. I really do love Brett Dalton, and not just cause he's super hot. He's been fantastic as Hive, and seeing him with Daisy/Skye again is just fantastic. Regardless of your thoughts on the pairing, they have a boatload of chemistry. Any other shows out there ending on a particularly strong note worth noting? Share 'em in the comments!
4. TRAILER WORTH WATCHING: BAD MOMS
There's a part of me that wants to hate this because the movie's title makes me CRINGE. Actually, the whole concept makes me cringe. But there's a lot of good going on here (KRISTEN BELL, obviously, and poking holes in oversensitive parenting methods) and Mila Kunis is always enjoyable too.
5. NOTEWORTHY NEW YA: WANDERING WILD byJessica Taylor
"I believe in possibility. Of magic, of omens, of compasses, of love. Some of it's a little bit true."
Sixteen-year-old Tal is a Wanderer, a grifter whose life is built around the sound of wheels on the road, the customs of her camp, and the artful scams that keep her fed. With her brother, Wen, by her side, it's the only life she's ever known. It's the only one she's ever needed.
Then in a sleepy Southern town, the queen of cons picks the wrong mark when she meets Spencer Swaythe clean-cut Socially Secured boy who ends up hustling her instead of the other way around. For the first time, she sees a reason to stay. As her obligations to the camp begin to feel like a prison sentence, the pull to leave tradition behind has never been so strong.
But the Wanderers live by signs, and all the signs all say that Tal and Spencer will end only in heartache and disaster. Is a chance at freedom worth almost certain destruction?
-Courtesy of Indiebound